20 Sep TUBERSERV® – Depot film for potatoes
The dose makes the poison (see Paracelsus)
…but what about our potatoes?
Potatoes belong to our basic food. In 2016 and 2017 up to 60 Kg per year and citizen were eaten in germany.
Though to compete with others in the market the quality of potatoes plays an important role. Potatoes are harvested during the autumn and will be store in huge warehouse over
the winter season. To inhibit germination and keep them fresh and nutritious potatoes are treated with the germicide chlorpropham (Isopropyl- N-(m-chlorphenyl)-carbamate) CIPC.
Chlorpropham is growth regulator which is used for potato storage for over 60 years. For indication the additional note „Treated after harvest“ is printed on the packaging label.
Since the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung, BfR) classifies chlorpropham as suspected to be carcinogenic the growth regulator is only allowed to a maximum amount of 10 mg/Kg in potatoes.
Fig. Bench test with potato sort „Linda“
Researchers located in Saxony-Anhalt invented a functional film which keeps the active component chloropham as depot inside. Such products with depot and release effect are well-known in medicine (e.g. pain or heat plaster). But the main difference: TUBERSERV has no contact with the potatoes at all!
With this novel process the legal amounts of chlorpropham can be reduced by 90% to 95 % to values of 0,5 to 1mg/kg !
Advantages of the novel process:
1. Lowering of the legal amount of 95%.
2. Less labour costs per storage period, once-only mounting/unmounting of film
3. No odor nuisance for the employees, reduction of hazard potential
4. Reliable delivery – No waiting time
(Previous process: After nebulization warehouse is not accessible, no entry.)
5. Value for money – absolutely convince
6. During complete storage time – steady & low release of CIPC – to stored material
7. Ventilation mode: air circulation, forced ventilation, fresh air, temperature control, CO2